My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

Enjoy photos of our lives.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Soweto Slums in Nairobi

Today was our first day in Nairobi and we visited the slums that Courtney will be teaching at. It is a great place in among all of the very sad slums. The children were so excited to see white people and when Jon and I walked in they all ran to us to shake our hands and touch us. It was all I could do to not cry and then to top off the emotional part of it for me they all sang 3 songs to us to welcome us. One had the lyrics, "Welcome, Welcome, we are happy to meet you". I had to hold in tears many times today. It is just so surreal and the worst conditions I have ever seen. I want to save the world but it gets kind of overwhelming at times. But God is doing great things through Bible Fellowship Ministries which is the ministry that the Wafula's started.
We live with a Kenyan family, Bishop Victoria, Mama Mary and their 12 wonderful children ranging in ages from 25 to 2 years of age. It's been a great experience so far and it's only been one day, so I can only imagine that it will be so much better.

Sorry I don't have a photo to post. I can't figure it out today and our driver is waiting for us.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you have a fun and safe trip courtney and Jon!

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home