My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

Enjoy photos of our lives.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Ruth and her son Emmanuel


HERE IT IS!!!! Ruth(the standard 1 teacher at Hope and a Bright Future) and her 11 month old son Emmanuel. She is a dear lady who has a heart of gold. She invited me to come and see her home in the Soweto slums. We walked for 45 minutes to get there and she had time to feed her son and then we talked for 10 minutes before walking back. Just to give you an idea of her situation...she gets paid 2500 Ksh per month and her rent is 1000 ksh per month. Her place is 6 feet by 9 feet. It is the smallest thing I've ever seen. There is a sheet to divide the "bedroom" from the area with the couch. Her 2 children can't even sleep in the same room, they sleep down the hall in her friends room/house. I had brought some bananas, a chocolate bar, teddy grahams and cashews for myself because I was just going to stay at the school for lunch and read my book or finish a scarf. As soon as I pulled out my lunch, I offered it to Ruth and she was so grateful. That was when I knew that she didn't ever get to eat lunch. She gave her son most of the food, so I just left it all for her. She saved some for her daughter as well.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi J&C,

I can't even imagine a situation like Ruth. It must be so hard to see. Bless you for going to go see her and giving up your lunch. We celebrate Thanksgiving this weekend and will miss you guys at gramas. Today is Kelsey's birthday-she's 17. My baby is grown up. I'm praying for you.

aunt lo

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey court
I have been checking this site everyonce and a while and it looks like you guys are having a great time. it hasnt been updated since the last time that i was on it but i look forward to the next bit of news. There isnt really any thing new at my end but i will keep you up dated.
Dano

3:12 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hey Jon and Court,

I just wanted to let you know that Matt and I are thinking about you and praying for you both. I love getting your updates and hearing about everywhere you have been. I get excited everytime I hear about a place I have been or words that I know :)

Heather (for Matt too)

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home